Four Legged Friends

Four Legged Friends
Energetics: the science that deals with the laws of energy and its transformations.

Sunday, January 23, 2011

ALL IN A DAY

I am drawn to the little park by Bellingham Bay. I go for a walk and my feet always seem to find their way there.

It has a small beach of grey/black sand, and stones that have seen endless tumbling in the surf. This has created beautifully shaped stones that sing of all things passing. Large skeletons lie on the beach, echoing memories of giants reaching heavenward. Their green crowns stand as beacons on the horizon.

As I sit, meditate, contemplate and breathe, I notice how much Lummi Island reminds me of a whale’s back rising out of the bay. It is shrouded in a thick layer of low lying clouds, as if warm breath has been expelled through a blowhole, then met the cooler air surrounding it.

This creates a certain mystique and conjures thoughts of native creation stories and hints of the sacred energies on its shore. I have every intention of taking the short ferry ride over and explore soon.

Since the park abuts the port, I am thrilled by the sight of big ships moored at the docks. My mind wanders in imaginings of where they hale from and what their purpose is. Presently there is a NOAA vessel in dry dock having her hull maintenance. I looked up her hull number online. Her name is Belle M Shimada. She is a part of the Pacific fleet, and her mission is to study the ecosystem and fish of the Pacific Ocean. Information that she gathers is shared with commercial fisheries and the government. I would love a tour and have gone so far as to email the vessel admin office asking if they allow visitors. We shall see.

My attention is drawn to a long grey fishing boat, its bow pushing through the mirrored surface of the water creating a rolling wake in its passing. A flock of gulls, like mascots, announce the success of the day with their shrill calls as they hover over the catch well. The fisherman stands tall in his dirty yellow slicker focused on getting his catch to market and seems oblivious to the group that follows. Or possibly, he is so used to their racket that he doesn’t hear them anymore.

Another familiar call pulls my attention from the boat’s progress and its noisy procession. High above, I am treated to the sight of a beautiful bald eagle rising and falling on the air currents with tall Spruce as its backdrop. I still my mind and connect and in no time am feeling the sensation of air moving over my feathers and cool mist all around me. The view is spectacular and clear.

I am only able to maintain this for a brief time and I thank her for this moment of grace as I find myself earthbound once again.

Reluctantly, I head toward home, my two feet leading the way.

Blessings & Love,

Kate

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your words. They are so descriptive I feel like I am there and I want to be there. Thanks for sharing your inspiring journey.

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger