Four Legged Friends

Four Legged Friends
Energetics: the science that deals with the laws of energy and its transformations.

Sunday, February 6, 2011

HIGHLY ELEVATED

STOP!!!
You are about to enter an unedited zone and could be exposed to grammatical errors or inappropriate content. Proceed with caution! ;-)

I awoke on Sunday with a strong pull to immerse myself in the vibrations that only the higher elevations can provide. So I headed to the spot where locals like to go to get high on cold mountain air, skies so clear and blue it feels like you can reach up and skim the surface- now wouldn’t that be cool, and the adrenalin junkies get their fix racing down the slopes at break neck speeds.

So, I am off to Mount Baker on a scouting expedition. Mount Baker rises from the landscape at 10,781 feet and lies 31 miles due east of Bellingham proper. She is a beautiful sight on the horizon-always stirring primal feelings every time I gaze at her. Mount Baker is the second most active volcano in the Cascade Volcanic Arc and the youngest at a mere 80 – 90,000 years old and is the third largest in the Cascade Arc.

Mount Baker is known by the local Native American tribes of Lummi and Nooksack, as Koma Kulshan or simply Kulshan. Interestingly enough the name does not refer to the mountain itself, but to the region, Go Up High or Way Back in the Mountains Shooting.

It is a picturesque day as I set out, sunny, cool and not a rain cloud on the horizon. I’m taking the most direct route, route 542, also known as the Mount Baker Scenic Highway. It was just that. Amazing landscapes lay on both sides of the road. Seriously, I could spend a few hours just taking in the sights along the highway, but I want to get to the mountain.

As the road begins winding its way up the mountain the old growth forest of Snoqualmie National Forest becomes the backdrop. Breathtaking. I slow down to 45 from 55 just so I can safely take it all in. Even then it would have been nice if I had someone else driving or could set the car on autopilot.

About 7 miles past the ranger station I notice a sign/exit for Nooksack Falls -also known as Wells Creek Falls. Excited to see the falls I take the exit, but only make it a short distance because the road is like Swiss cheese due to washout from rain and snow. I feel it would be prudent to park and walk. I am treated with a minor cascade on my little exploration. It’s lovely. After taking a few shots, pictures are attached; I head back to the main road.

A short distance up the road I notice a trailhead that looks interesting, so I decide to park and do a little more exploring. It is the Excelsior Pass trailhead located at 4200 feet. The trail is the easiest of three accesses to the High Divide and the trail description hints to mountain meadows and alpine vistas. However, since I‘m not really equipped for a lengthy hike today, I tell myself, “keep it short Kate”, as I begin hiking up the trail.

As soon as I hit the tree line it feels like I’ve walked into a Cathedral. With reverent hushed tones, the water is falling over rocks in the little stream just off the trail and even the birds chirp their praises softly. I can feel Divine’s presence all around me. The landscape of old growth forest looks and feels as if I had stepped into a time portal and have gone back 1000 years. As I walk the trail at a 4% incline, the smell of conifers fills my senses and ice crystal rain softly on me from the snow covered tree tops. Sunlight is illuminating each crystal, giving me the sensation of being coated in Fairy dust adding to the otherworldly feel that envelopes me. The trail keeps beaconing to me, wanting me to keep going, hinting to the unexplored beauty that waits, but common sense prevails and after only 30 minutes I reluctantly turn around and begin head back down.

On my drive up I passed a trailhead that went along a river. I decided to make that my last stop before heading back to Bellingham. It doesn’t disappoint. I take the short hike enjoying the water as it is rushing past, taking with it all my cares.

Feeling recharged and more importantly reconnected I make my way back to Bellingham on 542 and pass an Eagle standing like a lone sentinel on my path high in the trees. Life is good.

Blessings & Love,

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger